The WLC is an established Las Palmas language academy that offers an excellent range of Spanish lessons and Spanish courses. We think they have the balance between learning and fun just about right; lessons are relaxed and immersive and we've heard nothing but good things from students.
We've written a detailed guide to learning Spanish in Gran Canaria on our sister site Gran Canaria Guru.
Location of the World Language Centre
The WLC is right in the centre of the city close to the beach and the popular Plaza de Farray. It's easy to get to from anywhere in the city and even from outside Las Palmas and is two minutes walk from the beach. It's also right by the Official Language School so you can use it to do extra lessons if you are on an official course.
It's on C/. Fernando Guanarteme 55, 35010, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria.
Tel: (+34) 928 276 098
Teacher and teaching style
Spanish lessons are given in Spanish with a focus on teaching you how to communicate in the language on a daily basis. You cover the grammar and vocabulation, but you do it in a useful way so that you know you are improving.
The teacher, called Yeray, is a qualified Spanish teacher with many years of experience. Once people start learning Spanish with him, they don't want to change. This is important as finding a good teacher is vital if you want to progress and keep up your commitment.
Another thing we love about the WLC is its friendly social atmosphere. Most students end their classes with a coffee (or beer) in the Plaza de Farray opposite the academy; perfect for practising what you've just learned.
Class sizes at the World Language Centre
Spanish classes never have more than ten students and you can also do intensive, one-on-one or couple classes if you want a more personal atmosphere. Groups are formed by ability so you are always with people learning at the same rate.
Spanish lesson & course prices
Prices are competitive and excellent value given the same class sizes and the quality of the teacher. Registration is just 10 euros and you get a decent amount of reference material for just 10 euros.
Couple's lessons (or any two people) are really good value at 168€ per month for two lessons per week.
For full price information, see the World Language Centre website.
Five reasons why the World Language Centre should be top of your shortlist
1. Great teacher: Your teacher is a qualified native and his students love him
2. Location: The WLC is two minutes away from Las Canteras beach and right by the Plaza de Farray; the perfect spot to practise your Spanish with an after-class coffee
3. Tailored courses: You choose between weekly lessons or a semi-intensive course that gives you plenty of time to do other things in Las Palmas.
4. Small class sizes. WLC classes never have more than ten people so you know you'll get all the attention you need to improve fast.
5. Flexibility: You choose from weekly lessons, private classes or a semi-intensive course.