With eight different beers, each with a Gran Canaria twist but made to German purity regulations, Viva is well worth tracking down when you are in Gran Canaria. It really does make a beer for every taste...
- Somo Costeros: A premium bottled beer with a 6.5% AVB.
- La Morena: An amber ale with toasted malt.
- Soy de Aquí: A quality pilsen with a body and a touch of bitterness.
- Eres un Puntal: A light and refreshing lager.
- Viva Trigo: An unfiltered wheat beer with a hint of citrus.
- Viva Negra Hapyness: A stout with a hint of coffee.
- Let's Go Canarias: A lovely unfiltered pale ale with fruiy and citrussy notes.
- Viva Libre: Beer with less than one percent alcohol for a refreshing change.
Which one should you try? We suggest starting with the first and working your way down the list.
Viva only works with returnable bottles so you can't buy it in supermarkets. Its bottled beers are sold in many bars and the brewery even offers a free delivery service all over Gran Canaria.
For draft Viva, head to the following spots all over Gran Canaria.
Try draft Viva beer in Las Palmas city
In Vegueta old town, Te lo Dije Perez sells Viva blond and Morena (amber) lager on draft. It's at Calle Obispo Codilla 6; the street that runs up the hill towards the cathedral. At number four on the same street, Tasca El Canalla does the Viva special blond.
On the Las Canteras beachfront, head to Paddy's Irish bar (by the pirate ship playground on the sand) for the Viva blond lager or to Somos Costeros; Viva's own restaurant under the palms of La Puntilla at the nothern tip of the beach.
Alex Says: For more about the Las Palmas beer bar scene, read our guide.
Drink draft Viva beer in south Gran Canaria
In Playa del Inglés, the Viva special blond brew is on draft at the Atelier Cocktail Bar on top of the Bohemia Spa and resort and at German butcher/restaurant Piicasso (amber lager). The Machbar sportsbar stocks pilsner and Viva is also available on draft at the El Carretón steakhouse.
In Puerto Rico, the Happy Valley Indian restaurants stock Viva, as does the El Ciervo steak house. La Taberna Timanfaya sells the Somos Costeros permium Viva beer in bottles.
At Playa de Mogán head to Sol y Luna for a taste of draft Viva and a creative twist on Canarian food.